Living the life of a farmer! You may apply for this opportunity if you have been a Farm Assistant Apprentice here at Full House Farm. Exchange 15 hours of work per week minimum in the off-season months of November-March and 20-30 hours per week in the high-season months of April-October for a cute, fully appointed, Wi-Fi ready, all utilities included trailer over creek. Possible tasks include tending organic gardens and farm animals (goats, chickens, and horses, and a cat), and hosting vacationing guests, acting as Land Steward. You will be a backup for house cleaning and grounds management in case of emergency. You will be assigned to tasks at which you excel, as well as those in which you show interest but may need time to improve skills. Additional work may be available if your skills support our need.
- Previously a Farm Assistant Apprentice at Full House Farm
- Highly motivated to live and work on a farm, with full understanding that this work is not confined to conventional days off/days on routine, but rather an immersion in the care of animals and hospitality of other people
- Able to commit and contract to one year minimum
- Must be an Independent Contractor
- Must have current character, work, and landlord references
Attributes we seek:
- A person who is capable and practiced with open, clear, direct, and constant communication.
- A person who is excited and enjoys clarifying and checking in about understanding of concepts, directives, communication, goals, and bigger picture.
- A person who is willing to make adjustments and grow and evolve to fit into the FHF ideals. While still recognizing their personality strengths and weaknesses.
- A curious person who likes to think about the why of each task. Wants to understand the reason we do each small task down to the tiny (and very crucial) details.
- A person with personality traits that are highly detailed and reflective of a serious business person, someone who finds joy in double checking that the work has been completed.
- A person who is present and able to recall details and actions they performed on that day and someone who is eager to ask questions when they don’t understand something (a directive).
- A person who is organized and has a developed way to keep track of information given to them verbally on the fly, an effective note-taker.
Compensation and Parameters:
The housing provided would be a one bedroom furnished trailer most suitable for one person only, although sometimes couples are considered. It is next to the main farm house with a private deck over a year round creek. This trailer is turn-key with all amenities, accept laundry, included. These amenities would include a fully equipped kitchen, Wi-Fi, water, electric, garbage, safe off-street parking. Additionally, there would be supplemental veggies and fruit from the property, provided there is an excess. A space to garden can be negotiated. There would be access to farm fresh dairy and eggs for sale. This trailer is situated next to the main farmhouse, near the garden and animals on a 23 acre property in West County. Wildlife is welcome and thrives just outside the door, so no dogs are permitted. Up to two cats are ok. There are some restrictions around friends visiting and occasional gatherings are only permitted with owner approval. Quiet hours on the farm are 7 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
The applicant we will consider has been a Farm Assistant Apprentice at Full House Farm. They will know they need to naturally be an early riser; communicate well and honestly; love and appreciate dirt and poop; have very high standards, be physically capable of doing the work; be comfortable with very detailed constructive feedback; want to commit to living on the farm for a minimum of year; be self-respecting, energetic, positive, physically active, creative, and excited about learning; love life unaltered by smoke, drugs, alcohol, or other substances; enjoy details; like challenges; and know every day is yet another adventure.
- Farm Assistant Flier(pdf)