Popular educational Agritourism Farm in Sebastopol, California, has one opening for an Apprentice Farm Assistant. Work a minimum of 15 hours of work per week in exchange for training in tending organic gardens and farm animals (goats, chickens, and horses, and a cat), and hosting vacationing guests (prep, on-call hosting, tours). You will also learn how to be a backup for house cleaning and grounds management in case of emergency. You will be introduced to all the above and assigned to those at which you excel, although we encourage diversity and the willingness to develop new skills. High season, May-October, could require 20-30 and more might be available, and this is only if you have evolved into the paid position. The Farm Assistant Apprenticeship is a pre-requisite for the paid Farm Assistant opportunity.
- Must have aptitude for working with farm animals, veggie gardens, and hospitality
- Work history and personal life choices must demonstrate your potential
- Must have the intention of ultimately becoming an Independent Contractor (own your own business)
- Must be willing to contract as an apprentice for 15/hrs week MINIMUM with the understanding that it is our intent to find someone who would be suitable for the live-in Farm Assistant position available to Independent Contractors.
- Must be available mid-week, with the understanding that morning chores start at 5:30 a.m. and evening chores end at 7:00 p.m. approximately, although in most cases you work one end or the other of any given day when not living on premises
- Must have a valid California Driver’s License and clean record
- Must have current character and work references
Attributes we seek:
- A person who is capable and practiced with open, clear, direct, and constant communication.
- A person who is enthusiastic and enjoys clarifying and checking in about understanding of concepts, directives, communication, goals, and bigger picture.
- A person who is willing to make adjustments and grow and evolve to fit into the FHF ideal, while still recognizing their personality strengths and weaknesses.
- A curious person who likes to think about the “why” of each task and wants to understand the reason we do each small task down to the tiny (and very crucial) details.
- A person with personality traits that are highly detailed and reflective of a serious business person; someone who finds joy in double checking that the work has been completed to the best of their ability.
- A person who is willing to scrutinize their performance (someone who is present and able to recall details and actions they performed on that day—or someone who likes to keep copious notes) and is eager to ask questions when they don’t understand something (a directive).
- A person who is organized and has a developed way to keep track of information given to them verbally on the fly, an effective note-taker.
- Someone who understands one of their primary focuses while at the farm is to support the goals and intentions of the owners’ vision, making those goals their own while living and working on the farm, and to understand these goals and the vision takes at least a year.
Compensation and Parameters for Volunteer Opportunity:
In-depth training for all tasks including, but not limited to, philosophies and sciences around animal care, land stewardship, and Public Relations as it pertains to hosting and educating the general public and overnight guests who come to the farm.
The applicant we will consider is someone who has put some thought into their one, two, and five year plans, is naturally an early riser; communicates well and honestly; loves and appreciates dirt and poop, even while being able to handle themselves with integrity in situations that require intense awareness of cleanliness; has very high standards; is physically capable of doing the work; comfortable with very detailed constructive feedback; wants to stay at least one year and preferably more; self-respecting; energetic; positive; physically active; creative; excited about learning; loves life unaltered by smoke, drugs, alcohol, or other substances; enjoys details; likes challenges; and knows every day is yet another adventure.